BMC Rheumatology is calling for submissions to our Collection on The role of diet and lifestyle modifications in the management of rheumatic diseases. This Collection aims to share emerging and ongoing research focusing on the influence of these factors on rheumatic disease management and patient well-being and provide new insights into disease pathogenesis and symptom management recommendations.
Rheumatic diseases are chronic inflammatory conditions characterized by complex interactions between genetic predisposition and environmental factors. Alongside pharmacological treatments and as part of overall patient care, dietary and lifestyle factors have been shown to play an important role in disease management.
The impact of dietary changes on disease management includes inflammatory control, weight management (preventing additional stress on joints and exacerbating symptoms), improvement of joint health, gut health (influencing gut microbiota composition), medication interactions (absorption and metabolization), and overall well-being. However, studies have also shown that alongside being a protective factor, diet can also present as a risk factor for disease pathogenesis and progression.
Lifestyle changes also play a crucial role. Through communications between patients with rheumatic diseases and healthcare professionals for guidance and support, implementation of a combination of healthy lifestyle modifications can help manage symptoms and potentially slow disease progression. This can include exercise and physical therapy to maintain joint flexibility and strength, physical activity, stress management, improved sleep quality, joint protection, medication adherence, self management, and emotional support for managing the challenges associated with rheumatic diseases.
This collection welcomes submissions on topics including but not limited to:
- Ongoing research exploring the relationship between dietary and lifestyle factors and rheumatic disease management
- Association of diet and the gut microbiome and their influence on rheumatic disease activity
- Impact of lifestyle changes such as exercise, physical therapy, stress management, mental health improvement, sleep quality on disease outcomes
- Patient education and counselling for diet and lifestyle modification
- Challenges faced in adapting and maintaining dietary and lifestyle changes
- Future directions for lifestyle medicine – advanced technologies (wearable devices, apps) and support for patients
This Collection supports and amplifies research related to SDG 3: Good Health and Well-Being.
Image credit: hriana / stock.adobe.com